- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Idaho or russet potato cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 yellow squash ¼ inch rounds
- 2 Roma tomatoes ¼ inch rounds
- 1 or 2 baby eggplants ¼ inch rounds
- 1 medium size zucchini ¼ inch rounds
- *2 or 3 basil leaves chopped
- *couple sprigs of thyme
- *couple pinches fresh oregano
- 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
- 2 or 3 tbs panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
* herbs are optional, use any combination of what you like.
Preheat oven 400f
Lightly coat an 11×7 or round shallow casserole dish with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
Add 1 tbs olive oil to sauté pan and cook onions with garlic for 6 or 7 minutes.
When onions are softened, spread over bottom of casserole dish.
Now it’s time to play. Create rows of vegetables starting with 1 potato slice, then a yellow squash, tomato slice, eggplant and finally a zucchini slice. Repeat process until dish is full.
*Sprinkle with optional herbs, salt and pepper and finally, 1 tbs of olive oil.
Cover with foil and place in oven 45 minutes.
Remove foil and sprinkle parmesan cheese, then bread crumbs over vegetables.
Place in oven, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Add mozzarella and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.