For the next few months, we'll be sharing favorite recipes from Fox 8 News in the Morning personalities and their families. Our first recipe comes from Stacey Frey. She shared her recipe for tortilla soup with the staff and it became a hit. Many staffers make it for their families on a regular basis. Now, Stacey is sharing the recipe with you!
Stacey's Southwest Tortilla Soup
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained
- 10 oz frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- Optional for serving: tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, avocado
- Combine all ingredients (except cilantro and lime juice) into crockpot or slow-cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from soup, cut into bite-sized pieces and return to soup.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, and avocado if desired.