Officials: Dry water well, natural gas and cigarette spark deadly house explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(House explosion in Orwell 7/16/14)

ORWELL, Ohio — The cause of Wednesday night’s deadly house explosion in Orwell was released Friday.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office tells FOX 8 a water well ran dry from a toilet running all day. The well filled with natural gas which entered the home through the plumbing. A lit cigarette ignited the blast.

The explosion that happened at a two-story house on Montgomery Road claimed the life of a 27-year-old woman and seriously injured her boyfriend.

The explosion could be heard and felt miles away.

CLICK for more on the explosion.