CLEVELAND – A man twice convicted of killing a woman and eight children at a sleepover in Cleveland’s deadliest arson was sentenced Friday to 35 years in prison followed by five years of supervised release. Lewis will receive credit for time served since 2009.
Sentencing for Antun Lewis was previously scheduled for June 10, but U.S. District Judge Solomon Oliver Jr. granted a defense motion to delay it.
Lewis spoke in court today proclaiming his innocence. Lewis said he was the victim of the truth being mixed with a lie. The truth being 9 lives killed in the fire, but the lie he says is that he is responsible for it.
The fire killed 33-year-old Medeia Carter, four of her children and four other youngsters attending a birthday sleepover party on May 21, 2005. Prosecutors said Lewis poured gasoline on the home and set it on fire in the middle of the night in retaliation for a drug debt.
Prosecutors wanted him to serve life in prison, while the defense wanted 20 years with credit for time already served.
Lewis also offered his condolences to the family and friends of the victims.
Click here for continuing coverage on this story.