Wire brush warning: Woman almost dies after what she ate at barbecue

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKEWOOD, Wash. — A barbecue changed one Washington woman’s life.

According to Q13Fox, Tammy Johnson decided to have the cookout with her husband and their grandchild.

A few days later, she experienced severe abdominal pain and thought she got sick from the chicken they had eaten.

But doctors discovered she’d also eaten a wire from a brush used to clean the grill, and it punctured her intestine.

She had emergency surgery and nearly died.

Tammy is still on a feeding tube and is warning people about the dangers of using the grill brushes.

For more on this story, click here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.