Trader’s Point Three Cheese Mac
- 1 lb pasta prepared according to package
- 6 tbs butter
- 6 tbs flour
- 3 C. whole milk
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz white cheddar shredded
- 8 oz baby Swiss shredded
- 3 oz fleur de la terre rind removed, broken into smaller pieces (substitute Jasper hill Landaff or sharp cheese of choice)
- 6 asparagus spears cooked (use tips and tender part of stalk))
- 5 oz baby spinach
- ½ small red onion sliced thin and sautéed
- 8 oz ham cut into small cubes
- 6 strips of bacon cooked crispy and chopped rough
Cook pasta. Rinse and set aside.
Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium to medium high heat. Sprinkle flour over melted butter. While stirring, cook for about 2 minutes. This is called a roux. Start whisking milk into roux. Cook until bubbly and mixture starts to thicken. Add cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Cook until mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in ham, asparagus and onion.
Toss sauce with pasta, along with baby spinach. Top with bacon, garnish with parsley and serve.
P.S. if you choose to bake this dish, hold bacon and top with a cup of panko bread crumbs. Bake 12 minutes at 350. Add bacon during last few minutes of baking.