Melanie Bauer was recently named one of Better Homes & Gardens Top 10 Food Bloggers. Her food blog is called "Melanie Makes" and it offers a full week's worth of recipe ideas along with beautiful photographs of each recipe.
Sangria Stuffed French Toast
- 750 mL bottle Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend wine
- 4 ounces peach liqueur
- 16 ounces frozen raspberries
- 16 ounces frozen peaches
- 16 ounces club soda, optional
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 slices French or Italian bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- In a large pitcher, add wine, peach liqueur and frozen fruit.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld together.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, add half of fruit from sangria with slotted spoon.
- Over medium heat, add peach and raspberry preserves and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch and then stir into fruit mixture. When thickened, remove from heat.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip four slices of bread into mixture and place coated side down on a parchment or silicone mat covered baking sheet,
- Spoon fruit mixture on top of bread.
- Coat remaining four slices of bread in milk mixture and place coated side up over fruit mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly brown and then carefully flip to brown other side.
- Bake for an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove and plate immediately, serving with any remaining fruit mixture and powdered sugar.
- Before serving Sangria to enjoy as a cocktail, add a bit of club soda to each glass for a bit of fizz.