Man Charged in KSU Lockdown Incident Arraigned

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KENT, Ohio – The student facing a felony charge of carrying a concealed weapon after an incident that put the Kent State University campus on lockdown made a court appearance via video Monday.

Quavaugntay Tyler, 24, pleaded not guilty. Bond was set at $40,000 and a preliminary hearing was set for Friday at 9:15 a.m.

Tyler is accused of firing a shot into the ground on campus late Wednesday.

When police were alerted that a shot was fired, students were told to stay in the dorms and classrooms were barricaded. Alerts were also sent out to notify everyone of the situation.

Portage County court records show Tyler admitted to a theft charge in 2013 after he was arrested for stealing thousands from a Walmart store in nearby Brimfield where he worked.

Brimfield police called the case a ‘refund fraud scheme,’ that involved the theft of as much as $21,000 over a period of six-to-eight months.

Kent State Police Chief John Peach said Tyler had been placed on probation in February and should not have been carrying a weapon.

The judge also instructed Tyler to have no contact with Kent State University property.

The case will be presented to the grand jury this week.

Read much more on this story, here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.