Special Celebrations Planned for Home Opener
CLEVELAND — The city comes alive next week for the Tribe’s Home Opener, and the Indians have a slew of things in store for the big event!
The occasion is particularly special because it marks the 20th anniversary to the day of the first game at then-Jacobs Field.
Our hometown team takes on the Minnesota Twins Friday, April 4 at 3:05 p.m., but you can get into Progressive Field starting at 1 p.m.
The Indians encouraged everyone to be in their seats by 2:30 p.m. to enjoy the pregame festivities, including:
- Video tribute to the first game at then-Jacobs Field, on April 4, 1994 vs. Seattle
- Raising a 20th-anniversary flag, which features eight postseason pennants
- Recognition of select season ticket holders who have been with the Indians since 1994
- Recognition of the 2013 postseason team
- Mike Hargrove throwing a ceremonial first pitch to Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Moment of silence for late broadcaster Mike Hegan
All branches of the United States military will be honored, the colors will be presented, and 250 employees of Progressive Insurance, the Presenting Partner of the Opening Series, will present an oversized American flag.
Rally Alley presented by RTA starts at noon on Larry Doby Way and features alumni autographs from 2-2:30 p.m., live music, street performers, concessions and more.
A number of non-meat options will be available at Progressive Field for those observing Lenten traditions, including:
- Veggie Dogs: Sections 162 and 541
- Salads: Sections 108, 162, 550
- Nachos: Sections 121, 154, 162, 171, 181, 311, 529, 556 and 558
- Cheese Pizza: Sections 101, 152, 5
- Fish Sandwich: Sections 101, 152, 164, 562
Fox 8 News will bring you all of the Home Opener fun both on-air and online!
Be sure to add your pictures to our online gallery!