Home Destroyed After 5-Year-Old Starts Fire with Lighter
LORAIN, Ohio — A family was able to escape a house fire sparked by a 5-year-old playing with a lighter in Lorain Thursday.
According to Lorain Fire Department, the fire was reported just after 10:30 a.m. at a home in the 1000 block of West Ninth Street.
According to firefighters, a mother, her 19-year-old daughter and her 5-year-old son were home at the time.
Firefighters say the 5-year-old lit a paper on fire in the bedroom and placed it on the mattress. When he saw the fire, he ran downstairs and told his mother. She ran upstairs but could not get the fire out.
She alerted the 19-year-old, who was sleeping, and they were able to escape the home.
When firefighters arrived, smoke was visible from two miles away. Fire was coming out of the bedroom window on the front of the two-story home.
The fire damaged both floors, including the attic.
The home is valued at $51,000. There was about $40,000 in damage.