Nina Salerno is the chef at Ferrante's Winery and she shared her recipe for Butternut Squash Soup with Fox 8's Stefani Schaefer. This recipe is the dish Ferrante's will be serving along with samples of their ice wine and the 11th Annual Ice Wine Festival.
Click here to learn more about the 11th Annual Ice Wine Festival.
Ferrante's Butternut Squash Soup
4 cups butternut squash, peeled & cut into pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil-divided
2 teaspoons salt-divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 clove of garlic, minced
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons Ferrante's Vidal Blanc Ice Wine
1) Preheat over to 400 degrees
2) In a medium bowl, toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender.
3) Heat olive oil on medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot. Add onions and garlic and saute until brown, about 6 to 7 minutes.
4) Add butternut squash, chicken broth and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
5) Remove from heat stir in honey.
6) Puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth. Season with salt, to taste.
7) Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy with a glass of Ferrante's Vidal Blanc Ice Wine!