Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 onion diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (approx. 14 oz)
- ½ C. tomato sauce
- 1 lb redskin potatoes cut into bite size chunks
- ½ tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 8 oz bottles of clam juice
- 2 6.5 oz cans chopped clams
- 12-18 smallest clams available (scrubbed with a brush under cold water, then rinsed)
- Hot sauce (optional)
Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until almost crisp. Remove from pot and set aside.
Add olive oil to pot, increase heat to medium high and toss in onions, carrots and celery. Add a little salt and pepper and give it an occasional stir. It should take about 5 minutes for the onion to soften.
Add garlic and continue cooking another minute.
Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, clam juice, juice from chopped clams, potatoes, thyme and bay leaves. A pinch of salt and pepper will perk up the potatoes. Bring to a low boil and then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook about 40 minutes.
Add chopped clams, live clams and continue cooking 4 or 5 minutes.
Serve when clams open.