Creamy Beer Cheese Soup
Recipe from Chris Hodgson, chef and owner at Hodge's
- 1 lb. butter
- 2 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. flour
- 1 can beer
- 2 gallons chicken stock
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 4 lbs shredded cheddar
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- In a large sauce pot, melt butter and sweat onions in the butter, season with 1 T kosher salt. Sweat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add flour to the butter onion mixture, and stir to combine. Cook 10 minutes gently until the mixture smells nutty and has turned slightly beige and thickened.
- Add beer, chicken stock, and heavy cream. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add cheese in small batches, whisking to combine after each addition. Temperature is critical here. Not too hot, or too cold or soup will break.
- Add paprika and season to taste