Amy Adams – Carnitas
- 4-7 lb pork shoulder (butt) cut into rough 3 or 4 inch chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 8 garlic cloves smashed and rough chopped
- 1 small can (4 oz) mild diced green chiles
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro tied with kitchen string
- 1 orange cut into quarters
- 1 lime cut in half
- 1 – 12 oz bottle coke
- ½ c. Water
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Optional ½ tsp ground chipolte
- Optional ½ tsp ground ancho chili pepper
Place onions on bottom of slow cooker . Salt and pepper pork, then place in cooker. Add garlic and green chiles evenly over top of pork.
Pour coke into a large measuring cup or small bowl along with ½ c. Of water. Stir in cumin, oregano, salt and optional chipolte and ancho chile . Mix, then pour around the pork. Try not to wash seasonings off pork. Top with orange pieces, lime, and bundle of cilantro. Cook low and slow 8 hours.
Allow to cool enough to handle or refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 400f.
Break pork or pull apart with 2 forks into smaller pieces. Spread on a baking sheet. Ladle just enough juice from the slow cooker to moisten pork and leave a little extra on the baking sheet. Roast pork uncovered for 15- 25 minutes. Pork should get a little crispy on the edges and still be tender and moist. (check after 15 minutes to avoid overcooking)
Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings.