Drivers Deal with Innerbelt Closure Chaos

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland RTA was standing by with additional cars and buses for Friday morning's commute.

RTA officials expect more customers to use public transportation today due to the Innerbelt Bridge shutdown.

** Click here for suggestions on alternate routes **

Interstate 90 eastbound between I-490 and I-77 will be shut down through 6 a.m. Monday morning. Interstate 90 westbound between I-77 and I-490 has reopened, but will shut down again at 8 p.m. It will remain closed through 6 a.m. Monday.

Click here for continuing coverage on the Innerbelt Bridge Project

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20135:44 am

From our crews in the field: I-90 West has reopened at I-77 and I-490.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20136:17 am

Traffic is starting to build on I-90, including near Fulton

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20136:37 am

Lots of brake lights on I-490 at I-77 heading into downtown:

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20136:58 am

Traffic on I-71 at West 25th starting to build up; there are no problems yet on the West Shoreway

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:06 am

From Fox 8’s Elisa Amigo in GroundFOX: Traffic is almost stopped on the I-490 detour by the Broadway ramp.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:07 am

From Fox 8’s Patty Harken: The West 14th Street entrance to I-90 eastbound has been REOPENED for this morning’s commute.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:14 am

From Elisa Amigo in GroundFOX: Traffic on the I-490 East detour is stop and go, with speeds at around 20 miles per hour

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:23 am

From Patty Harken in SkyFOX: A crash backed things up at I-490 and the Broadway exit. The crash has been cleared, but it slowed traffic even more, especially between I-90 and East 55th.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:23 am

From Patty Harken in SkyFOX: Traffic on I-71 northbound is also stacked up beginning at around Denison

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:38 am

From Elisa Amigo in GroundFOX: Just drove down the Shoreway, and traffic heading east is heavy but moving along at a decent speed.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:50 am

From Patty Harken in SkyFOX: Traffic could get slower on I-71 north at the Fulton/West 25th Street exit. The two left lanes are blocked due to an accident

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:50 am

From Patty Harken in SkyFOX: Traffic moving great on the West Shoreway: it’s a great alternate to the Innerbelt!

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:52 am

Innerbelt Bridge officials say to use the roundabout/West 14th to enter downtown. The ramp is open, and there’s very light traffic.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20137:55 am

Innerbelt Bridge officials say I-90 eastbound is also moving well this morning with no delays.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20138:11 am

From Patty Harken in SkyFOX: I-490 is still jammed between I-90 and East 55th

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20138:11 am

From Patty Harken in SkyFOX: the accident on I-71 northbound has been moved to the berm, and the lanes are now open. Traffic starting to get a little faster on I-71.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20138:13 am

Traffic is backed up on the Broadway exit from I-490 eastbound

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20138:13 am

From Elisa Amigo in GroundFOX: a multiple car accident on the ramp to I-77 southbound from I-490 has traffic backed up pretty bad to the split. Once you get downtown, traffic starts moving again.

Darcie Loreno November 22, 20138:56 am

From Patty Harken in SkyFOX: There’s an accident on I-480 eastbound in the right berm. Traffic is sluggish.

1 Comment

• callista11

Someone needs to be fired for not communicating better about the W 14th St exit off of 176N being CLOSED this morning. If you’re heading to the flats, any options after that point require to you make a giant circle around town in this mess. If I had known it was closed, I would have taken Pearl/W 25th instead.