Pedestrian Struck and Killed by School Bus

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CANTON, OH -- Prosecutors are reviewing details of a fatal accident in which a pedestrian was run over by a school bus Tuesday afternoon.

Heath Jurina says he was crossing Navarre Road S.W. around 4:00 p.m. Tuesday along with Vance Feather, who he thought of as his uncle, when the bus driver narrowly missing him, but apparently never saw Feather.

"We was a couple of feet away from each other, walking across the street when a bus got the green light to turn and he didn't see us and he turned and he clipped my uncle down and then ran over him with the back tires," said Jurina.

The bus was apparently turning east onto Navarre Road from Dueber Avenue S.W.

Jurina says he and Feather had a red light to cross Navarre Road.

"He stopped, but when he stopped, he was already on him. The tire was sitting about mid-section on him," said Jurina.

Feather was pronounced dead later at a Canton hospital.

Lisa Reicosky, a spokesperson for the Canton City Schools, confirms there were seven students from Lehman Middle School on the bus at the time.

A second bus was sent to pick them up at the scene.

Reicosky tells FOX 8 News that counselors were sent to the school Wednesday and were made available at the district's bus garage as well.

She would not say anything about the bus driver, telling FOX 8 on Wednesday that the district did not yet have a copy of the report and was waiting to hear from the city prosecutor's office.

Feather's relatives describe him as a very kind, loving and giving person with a big heart.

Feather had called ahead to make sure Nancy Negulis would be working until 5:00 p.m. at B.J.'s Pawn Shop, where he intended to make a payment on a loan he made against a ring.

"I felt bad because he was walking down here," said Negulis, who said she had known Feather for 8 years.

"Normally, he would always come in the morning. He would never come this late in the day. It was always morning when we would first open," she said.

The district says the Ohio State Highway Patrol inspected the bus on Wednesday to determine if there were any mechanical problems. The city prosecutor's office is determining if any charges will be filed.

Click here for continuing coverage on this story.

1 Comment

  • Joey Johnson

    Vance was a good person and did’t deserve what happened to him and the family does ‘nt deserve all the negative comments about him on face book about him being drunk when in fact he was cripple and lucky he could walk at all he had a limp.He cared more about other people than himself.he was my brother in law and a friend.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.