CLEVELAND -- Ariel Castro's defense team and family members returned to the Seymour Avenue home he once owned to remove certain items on Monday.
According to Joe Frolik with the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office, the arrangements to do so were made with the FBI last week.
A Fox 8 News crew saw several musical instruments, including guitars and drums, being hauled away. Several boxes and bags were also loaded into waiting vehicles.
"My brother-in-law is a sick man, he deserves to be punished. That place (the house) deserves to be torn down,” said Juan Alicea.
Craig Weintraub, one of Castro's attorneys, said Castro's son and daughter were able to find and take personal effects from their childhood.
"It was beyond the scope of what I thought was going to be taken but if that’s what they wanted to do and it (gives the family a sense of finality), then I’m happy with that,” Weintraub said.
He also expressed appreciation toward the prosecution for allowing the family to claim those personal items.
Castro forfeited the property and most of his belongings. The house will be demolished.
Last week, the 53-year-old was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole plus 1,000 years.
He pleaded guilty to 937 counts including aggravated murder, rape and kidnapping after holding three women captive for about a decade.
Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus escaped in May.
Castro was moved from the Lorain Correctional Institution to a place in Orient, Ohio. He's currently in the protective custody unit of the Corrections Reception Center.