BEDFORD, OH -- Fireworks on the 4th of July is an American tradition, but one suburb is canceling their annual show because of violence at last year's celebration.
"We enjoy the fireworks and it's sort of like, a community get together, a way to meet old friends," said LaTonya Fishergrace.
Fishergrace is not happy that she and her 6 children will not get to see fireworks in her hometown of Bedford this holiday.
Communities throughout Northeast Ohio have cut fireworks out of their July 4 celebration budgets.
At last year's fireworks show, 10 people were arrested for various offenses and 8 of them were not Bedford residents.
"Our concern, like any other city, would be the safety of our residents, safety of our employees, the police force. So, we made the decision. Council voted and we agreed for this year only, we would not have the fireworks," said City Manager Hank Angelo.
A 22-minute fireworks show costs Bedford $40,000 in pyrotechnics, plus added police officers. Angelo said the money can be used elsewhere in Bedford.
All the Bedford residents Fox 8 News spoke to said they all love the fireworks display on July 4, but have mixed opinions about this year's show being canceled.
"I'm for the fact that they canceled the fireworks, because we don't have the manpower to guard against all the rowdiness,” said resident Rob Kelly.
"I don't think that a whole city and other surrounding people that come to our city because it’s nice should have to suffer over a few incidents. Tax payers pay their money so they can see fireworks and little things they enjoy as a family," said Patti Zajkowski.
Some Bedford residents said they'll enjoy fireworks in another city this holiday.