Driver in Double Fatal I-77 Crash Charged

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Antony Ford (Photo Credit: Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office)

BROADVIEW HEIGHTS, Ohio — Police have arrested a man in connection with a horrific, five-vehicle, double-fatal crash on Interstate 77 last month.

Antony O. Ford, 23, of Cleveland, is charged with two counts of aggravated vehicular homicide, three counts of aggravated vehicular assault, one count of reckless operation and two counts of driving under suspension and without insurance.

On April 23, Ford was driving his Chevy Malibu southbound on I-77. According to a Broadview Heights police report, he was swerving in and out of traffic due to “admitted impatience.”

Just before the Route 82 exit, Ford allegedly swerved from the left lane across the center, into the right lanes, then onto the shoulder. When he noticed there were no more lanes, he cut back into the lanes and lost control.

Ford’s car struck a piano moving truck, which bounced off a guardrail and sheered off the top of a Honda Civic, killing Gail Bradley, 57, of Medina.

Also killed was the driver of the piano moving company, David Starr, 33, of Barberton.

Starr’s passenger was ejected and became trapped underneath another vehicle involved in the crash. Incredibly, Good Samaritans were able to lift the car off of him and pull him to safety, the report said. He was transported to a local hospital.

Two other cars in the northbound lanes were also involved in the crash.

In all, four people were injured. Their identities and conditions were not released by authorities.

The crash forced the closing of all north and southbound lanes of the interstate.

Crews from the Ohio Department of Transportation worked for hours to replace the missing length of guardrail while the wreckage was being cleared from the northbound lanes.

Ford appeared in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court on April 30. He waived his preliminary hearing and posted $25,000 bond. His case will now go to the grand jury.

Stick with Fox 8 News and for updates on this developing story as they become available.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.