8 NASA Glenn Employees Exposed to Substance
CLEVELAND– Eight employees at the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland were isolated for evaluation, then taken to the hospital, after they were exposed to a white substance.
NASA Glenn said it all started around 11 a.m. Wednesday when one employee developed a skin irritation after being exposed to the substance while cleaning out a drawer.
Several local fire and EMS crews responded to NASA Glenn.
Emergency personnel isolated all eight employees so they could be evaluated. They were taken to Southwest General Health Center for further medical evaluation.
The substance, which was found in a filing cabinet, was evaluated and identified as non-asbestos, silica-based insulation material, according to NASA Glenn.
They said safety personnel have begun a thorough cleaning of the incident site.
The affected buildings are expected to be open for business today.
As a precaution, an adjacent building was evacuated.
Stay with FOX 8 News and FOX8.com for new details.