Local Police on High Alert During Boston Manhunt

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Even police here in Ohio were on high alert during Friday's massive manhunt in Boston.

The face of the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings had been plastered on billboards across Ohio, such as one on Interstate 90 in Bratenahl before he was finally arrested Friday night.

"We have to stay on our toes, so do all Americans," Rocky River police Sgt. George Lichman said earlier in the day.

Police in Rocky River spent Friday on an even higher state of awareness after the Ohio State Highway Patrol sent an alert to police agencies across the state.

"A COPS alert means that there could be significant harm or the potential of significant harm to law enforcement specifically, and given this case in Boston, a police officer was killed and another one's in critical condition," Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Anne Ralston.

"We're doing everything we usually do and just kind of amplify that a little bit, heightened awareness, asking the public or anyone else to be more vigilant about what they see in their neighborhoods," said Lichman.

The highway patrol said there was never any indication that the bombing suspect was headed to Ohio, but felt the need to inform law enforcement agencies in Ohio just in case.

"It's simply that...be on the lookout, be aware of this suspect and what they're suspected of doing and that they could pose harm to the public and to law enforcement," said Ralston.

Rocky River police and the highway patrol said it's important for people to be on alert every day, not just after a major incident like the bombings at the Boston Marathon.

"You start to recognize what belongs and what doesn't, what is normal activity and what isn't...and I think that we're paying closer attention to things that don't look to be quite as usual for our community," said Lichman.

The Ohio Homeland Security was also in contact with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as the situation in Boston developed.

For extended coverage on this story, click here.