Tina Fey – Greens and Beans
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs chopped Italian bacon (I used smoked. Italian bacon is called pancetta and is usually not smoked, either kind will be great) or ham hock or smoked turkey leg
- 1 thin sliced onion (thin)
- 3 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 C. kale (stems removed and torn to 2-3 inch pieces)
- 2 C. chard (same as above)
- 2 cup collard greens (same as above)
- 1-15 oz can cannelloni beans drained & rinsed
- 1-15 oz can butter beans drained & rinsed
- 1-1/2 C. chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat.
Add pancetta, onions and pepper flakes.
Cook until onions soften and pancetta gives up some fat (should smell great!).
Add garlic and a little salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
Add greens to pot and gently fold until they start to lose volume. They will start to shrink as they heat up and cook.
When they start to look a little limp, add the chicken stock and bring to boil.
Fold in beans and reduce to simmer.
Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Taste a piece of the kale for tenderness and seasoning.
Adjust salt and pepper.
If kale is tender, you are good to go. The more you cook it, the more tender the greens will be. Serve with a slotted spoon and top with a little of the juice from the pan.
P.S. I tried a little grated cheese on top. It’s delicious!