Space Heaters Spark Fire That Destroys Home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Photo Credit: Fox 8 News video still)

BEDFORD HEIGHTS, Ohio — Firefighters in Bedford Heights think three space heaters left running inside a mobile home are what sparked a fire that destroyed the home.

The fire broke out around 1 a.m. Friday at a home on Aurora Road in the Libby Aurora Mobile Home Park.

According toBedford Heights Fire Chief Ken Ledford, the home owner left several space heaters on while he wasn’t home. Temperatures early Friday were in the 20’s.

“We had an owner who wasn’t home at the time said he had three space heaters going on in this trailer,” Ledford said. “We have damage to the trailers on the left and right but those were both vacant.”

Firefighters were able to put out the flames in all three homes quickly.

The home where the fire started was destroyed.

Ledford said there is a lesson here for anyone who uses space heaters.

“Don’t leave them unattended.Don’t leave them going in your house when you’re not home,” he said. “Otherwise we’ll have the affect right here.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.