Black Bean Burgers
Recipe by Chef Robin Blair, of Cooking with C.A.R.E., in honor of Councilman L. O. Payne
- 1 can black beans, well rinsed
- 1/2 cup multicolored peppers and onions, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 egg white
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- Finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir mixture and eggs into mashed beans.
- Stir the spices into the mashed beans. Mix in rice until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- Place patties in the freezer for at least 45 minutes to prevent patties from breaking
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.