Chief: Fire Starts When Lighter Used as Flashlight

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Photo Credit: Fox 8 News)

NORTH OLMSTED, Ohio — A lighter being used instead of a flashlight was the cause of a fire in North Olmsted overnight, according to firefighters.

North Olmsted Fire Chief Thomas Klecan said an 18-year-old female was looking under a bed for something with a lighter when the blaze started.

North Olmsted Lt. Ken Hehnen said the fire started around 10 p.m. in the apartment on the 12th floor of the Victoria Plaza apartment complex on Country Club Boulevard.

When firefighters arrived, evacuations were in progress, said Hehnen.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the apartment in which it started, and the apartment was a total loss. There was minor damage to apartments above and below it from smoke and water.

One firefighter injured their knee and was treated and released from the hospital, according to Hehnen.

No one else was injured.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.