1 Dies, More Sickened by Deadly Mushroom Soup

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Photo Credit: CNN)

LOOMIS, Calif. (CNN) — Investigators in California are looking into a case of a deadly mushroom soup.

It’s believed a caregiver at a home for senior citizens picked wild mushrooms and cooked with them, not knowing they were poisonous.

It happened Tuesday, when the caregiver at Gold Age Villa, a licensed residential care facility, picked the mushrooms on the one-acre property and prepared them for the residents.

A total of six people were hospitalized, including the caregiver, who ate the mushrooms herself. One of the residents died.

The Gold Age Villa was first licensed by the state in 2007 to care for up to six elderly residents. The licensee and owner of the home is Raisa Oselsky. No one at the facility would comment.

A spokesman for the state Department of Social Services, the licensing authority, said: “We are aware of the incident, and we are looking into it.”

Reporters spoke briefly to a man who was at the facility to pick up his mother, who may be the only resident who wasn’t sickened by the mushrooms.

“I don’t know anything,” he said. “It’s a good place for my mom to live, that’s all I know. They’re inside.”

When it learned of the death, the Placer County Sheriff’s Department sent detectives to the facility to make sure a crime had not occurred.

A spokesman for the department said there was no evidence of foul play and that it appears to be a “tragic accident.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.