Woman Tries to Behead Husband

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Photo credit: MGN Online)

**WARNING: The details in the following story may be considered disturbing by some readers**

EVERETT, Washington (KCPQ) — A 44-year-old Everett woman was found guilty of attempted murder Thursday for trying to cut off her husband’s head with an electric reciprocating saw while he was sleeping.

The Everett Herald reported that jurors deliberated only about three hours before announcing a verdict in the case of Renee Bishop-McKean. They also found her guilty of first-degree assault for bashing her husband in the head with a hatchet and mallet.

Sentencing was scheduled for Oct. 4, the Herald said. She faces at least 15 years in prison.

The incident occurred on Oct. 14, 2011, and prosecutors maintain that Bishop-McKean acted with premeditation in her alleged attempt to kill her husband.

Brett Bishop told police he awoke to the sound of a power saw, which was on and pressed against his neck. Bishop said his wife was holding the saw, but, luckily for him, it was a Sawzall reciprocating saw with a small blade.

He said he pushed her away and got out of bed, but she swung a hatchet at him and struck him in a shoulder and then swung a mallet at him, hitting him in the back of head.

Police could hear Brett screaming at his wife when they arrived at the home.

“It was you, it was you,” Brett shouted, according to police documents. “You tried to cut my head off. You’re going to jail.”

When police spoke to Renee, she told them that someone broke into the house with a power tool and was attacking Brett and then dropped it and fled when she confronted him. She said Brett awoke and saw her with the saw in her hand and attacked her, prompting her to defend herself.

Police believed the husband, particularly after finding evidence that his wife had recently purchased the Sawzall, the hatchet and mallet, and had stockpiled bleach and a supply of large garbage bags.

Jurors were told the couple had been living apart, but she invited him over and directed that he sleep on a mattress that she’d wrapped in plastic, under the sheets, the Herald said.

Renee also told police the intruder jumped out of daughter’s bedroom window, but when police examined the window, they noticed it was secured by a child-safety lock and would not open more than a few inches. Police said other statements Renee made about the incident were inconsistent.

When they arrived, they also noticed that Renee had blood on her clothes and forearm and there was blood on the carpet and some of the walls inside the home.

Brett and Renee were married in 2002 and have two children: a boy and a girl, under the age of 10.

Renee has two prior felony convictions from California in 2001 when she and Brett had an argument and she fired a gun in their apartment. Brett told police he lives in fear of Renee.