Explosion Sends Employees Home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Courtesy: Brian Gawlak

CANTON, Ohio — A small explosion caused employees to evacuate a metal supplier Sunday morning.

According to the Canton Fire Department, crews arrived at RTI Alloys on Warner Road after receiving a call of an electrical issue.

Fire crews found heavy smoke and immediately evacuated the business. About ten employees were inside the building at the time. They were sent home.

Officials say the substation overheated and caused a transformer to explode. No one was hurt.

Nearby homes reported power outrages. It is unclear when power will be restored.