August 29, 2012
Hollywood and Dine
The next installment in the Resident Evil series brings more action-packed adventure…and of course, a Hollywood and Dine recipe! David sat down with Michelle Rodriguez from the new film, Resident Evil: Retribution, and talked about some of her favorite meals. The resulting recipe? Mahi Mahi with fruit chutney and a lemon cream pasta!
Warren County Fall Events
As if you needed more reasons to visit “Ohio’s largest playground!” Bridget Coughlin, from Warren County Convention and Visitors Bureau, sat down with Kristi to talk fall time events to watch for!
Here are some reasons to head to Warren County:
- The Renaissance Festival, September 1 – Oct. 21, allows you to enjoy over 400 years of fun in a single day. It features Queen Elizabeth and more than 150 costumed characters, jousting tournaments, unique arts and crafts, food, drinks and more.
- The Ohio Sauerkraut Festival, Oct. 13-14, was voted one of the top 5 food festivals in the US by Lonely Planet. Some foods you’ll see there are sauerkraut pizza, German sundaes, cabbage rolls, polish cabbage soup and plenty of pork and sauerkraut combinations. However, there are more than 450 vendors and plenty of kraut-less items available.
- There are Halloween activities for the whole family, from pumpkin patches to haunted hayrides. One of the more popular events is Kings Island’s Halloween Haunt. Weekends from September 21 to October 27, Kings Island hosts the premier Halloween attraction in the area, with Trick or Treat with the Dinosaurs and Howl-o-Fest, designed for younger children.
- For those looking for a more thrilling experience, Kings Island offers several haunted mazes, spooky shows and the classic roller coasters, like the Beast and Diamondback. In Middletown, the Chambers of Horror Haunted House offers up a terrifying haunted house experience beginning September 14.
Choosing Plants from a Nursery
Fall is just around the corner, and contrary to popular belief, it’s the best time for planting! Here to help add more curb appeal to your home was Arthur Richwine from Bremec on the Heights. He showed us the do’s and don’ts of fall planting, which plants to avoid, and which plants work best this time of year.
Ramseyer Potato Farm
New Day headed down on the farm for a little potato picking! Ever wonder where your potato chips come from? Ramseyer Farms gave us a behind-the-scenes look of what goes into the making of Potato Chips!
Weightloss with Dr. Bob
Want to lose 20 pounds in 12 weeks? It’s easier than you think! Dr. Bob DeMaria joined Kristi in studio to spill some of his slimming secrets. It’s not about counting calories, but rather being calorie conscious.
Dr. Bob’s go-to snacks?
- Almond butter on a rice cake with four mini rice crackers (120 calories)
- Salsa (2 tablespoon = 5 calories)
- Hummus (1 tablespoon = 10 calories)
- Skinny popcorn (39 calories per cup)
- Annies Tuscany Italian dressing
- Do not eat before bed.
- Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup – HFCS stops a hormone in the body called LEPTIN which tells you that you are full.
- Look at Labels — apple sauce with a meal could cause you to be hungry later
Back to School Fashion with Kohls
Help them start school in style! Dina Younis, Fashion and Style Blogger, brought in the latest fall fashion from Kohls. Great looks from Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, and Rock & Republic will keep them ahead of the style curve!