By Holly Yan
(CNN) -- Still grappling with the inexplicable tragedy at a Colorado movie theater last week, families of the massacre victims must now embark on the heavy task of laying their loved ones to rest.
On Wednesday, a memorial service will take place for 51-year-old Gordon Cowden, who took his two teenage children to see a midnight premiere of the new Batman movie "The Dark Night Rises." Cowden's children survived.
Nine miles away, visitation will take place for Micayla Medek, a 23-year-old woman who was working toward her college degree.
Actor Christian Bale, star of "The Dark Night Rises," surprised residents in Aurora on Tuesday when he visited a memorial for the victims and met with survivors of the shooting spree, CNN affiliate KDVR reported.
One of the victims, Carey Rottman, posted a picture of Bale visiting him in his hospital room on Facebook.
"Wow!!! Thank you so much for the visit Christian!! What a great guy! Still in shock!," Rottman wrote, according to KDVR.
Amid the tragedy, other survivors also had reasons to celebrate.
Shooting victim Caleb Medley and his wife, Katie, welcomed newborn son Hugo Jackson Medley on Tuesday morning. Both the mother and baby were doing well, the University of Colorado Hospital said.
But Caleb Medley, who was shot in the head, lost an eye and sustained from brain damage.
"The surgeon came and talked to us and said he'd be in ICU at least a week," said Medley's friend, Michael West, who set up a website to help take care of medical bills and the needs of Medley's family.
"I knew it was going to rack up in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions," West said of his friend's medical expenses.
Medley, who had been doing standup comedy routines in Denver and was working full-time at Target, had no health insurance, his brother Seth said.
Money are also streaming into GivingFirst.org, which is accepting donations for victims and relatives of the shooting. By Tuesday, the amount had reached almost $2 million, Gov. John Hickenlooper said.
"The needs will be great and we look forward to seeing the fund grow exponentially," he said. "This money will help those impacted by this tragedy begin to recover and rebuild their lives."
Hickenlooper said donors include Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures, co-producers of "The Dark Knight Rises."
Sources at Warner Bros. studios told CNN that the company made a "substantial" donation. Warner Bros., a subsidiary of CNN's parent company Time Warner, would not divulge how much money it was giving out of respect for the victims, the sources said.
Meanwhile, the suspect in last week's shooting rampage is scheduled to be formally charged July 30.
James E. Holmes made his first court appearance on Monday. Looking dazed at times, the man identified himself to police as "the Joker" gave little indication that he was paying attention in court. He will continue to be held without bond.
Holmes had booby-trapped his Aurora apartment with more than 30 homemade grenades and 10 gallons of gasoline, a law enforcement official who viewed video showing the apartment's interior has told CNN.
The sophisticated setup at the sparsely furnished third-floor, one-bedroom apartment was meant to harm, or possibly kill, anyone who entered -- and tested the skills of bomb squad members charged with clearing it.
"Imagine that fireball ... you would have an explosion that would knock down the wall of (nearby) apartments," the official said Monday. "That flame would have consumed the entire third floor."
The Holmes family issued a statement Friday saying, "Our hearts go out to those who were involved in this tragedy and to the families and friends of those involved." It added, "We are still trying to process this information."
CNN's Poppy Harlow, Dana Ford, Breeanna Hare, Alta Spells, Josh Levs, Joe Sutton, Ed Lavandera, Nick Valencia, Kathleen Johnston, Drew Griffin and Jessica Jordan contributed to this report.