Volunteer Died Instantly In Fireworks Clean-Up Explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

By Zach Tecklenburg, KSHB, Courtesy CNN

LANSING, Kansas — A volunteer at a community fireworks display in Kansas died Wednesday night while cleaning up after the show.

The Lansing Police Department said that Andy Jones, 44, was among volunteers disposing of unused fireworks from the Kenneth W. Bernard Community Park show when one exploded.

Jones had a wife and two daughters, ages 15 and 22. According to a friend, he was at one time a registered pyrotechnician and had been involved with fireworks display in years prior.

The incident appears to be accidental in nature, and city officials said he died instantly.

The park had already been cleared of area residents watching the fireworks, police said.

There were no other reports of injuries.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.