By Barb Snow
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 (1 ounce) packages taco seasoning mix
- 8 (2.5 ounces) packages corn chips
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
Cook ground beef in a large skillet, stirring over medium heat until browned.
After draining excess oil, mix in taco seasoning and prepare according to the directions on the package.
Before opening the Frito bags, gently crush the corn chips.
Cut the top off the bags and spoon in some of the seasoned beef.
Top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and sour cream.
Serve with a plastic fork and a good napkin.
TACO SEASONING RECIPE:
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (this is very spicy, so you may want to add a little less or maybe a little more)
Place all the ingredients in a small freezer bag. Seal the bag and shake. You can store this in the freezer to keep it as fresh as the day you made it. Makes one cup.
TO USE IN RECIPE ABOVE: After draining fat from cooking beef, add 1 ½ cups water and 2 – 3 tablespoons seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Start with one tablespoon of seasoning in recipe above, adding more as needed (2-3 tablespoons to 2 pounds of meat seem to be the most popular measurement).