‘Chaotic’ Scene After Teen Allegedly Shoots Mom

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WILLARD, Ohio -- A teen boy is accused of shooting his own mother and then leading police on a wild manhunt.

Around 11:30 a.m Wednesday, a woman identified as Melissa Mason called 911 stating that her son had shot her.

Officers responded to a house on North Main Street and found Mason inside, severely injured, but her 15-year old-son had fled on foot.

Neighbors reported seeing the boy running through their backyards carrying a .22-caliber pistol.

“I was scared,” said Eddie Barnett. “I have two small kids here, so I grabbed my gun.”

The Willard School District was then notified, and Superintendent David Danhoff ordered all five of the district’s buildings locked down.

Additionally, local parks and the library were locked down as law enforcement officers from the Huron County Sheriff’s Office, the Norwalk Police Department, the Norwalk Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Crawford County Sheriff’s Office assisted in searching for the teenager.

“It was chaotic,” said Eddie Barnett.

About two hours later, officers located the teen inside a house on West Pearl Street, about three blocks from his own home.

Willard Police say the teen tried to give officers a “fake” name, but Willard School Resource Officer Brian Slone recognized him.

He was taken into custody and is currently being held at the Juvenile Detention Center pending a hearing in Huron County Juvenile Court.

Officers at the scene also confiscated a backpack containing a .22-caliber pistol and other evidence.

Investigators aren’t releasing any information on a possible motive at this time, but some neighbors say the boy has been in trouble in the past.

Still, they can’t believe what happened Wednesday afternoon in their small town.

“It was chaos,” said Eddie Barnett, “Nothing like this ever happened here before, nothing like this.”

As of Thursday morning, Mason was listed in good condition at Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo.