Medical Examiner Says Grandparents Were Beaten to Death by Parma Man

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND -- A spokesperson for the Cleveland Division of Police tells Fox 8 News that roughly one day after an elderly couple was gunned down inside their Virginia Avenue home, their grandson was arrested in connection with the homicides.

Sgt. Sammy Morris says that Anthony King, 29, of Parma, has been taken into custody. Anthony is the grandson of victims James Riley King, 75, and Wava King, 72. Anthony is currently being held in the Division's Central Prison Unit, where he is awaiting charges.

Authorities say that the victims' daughter awoke Monday morning and found Wava, her mother, dead on the couch. After calling police, her father James was discovered in the basement. The couple had been married for years and had five children.

"She was an older, nice lady. She was always respectful and spoke to everyone. She didn't bother anyone," neighbor Lisa Tate told Fox 8's Mark Zinni.

"It's crazy. I mean, it's a nice quiet street," fellow neighbor Maribel Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez wasn't home early Monday morning, but her friend was startled by something around midnight.

"She said she heard, like, a door slam. She came out to look, and the dogs were barking, but she didn't see anything, so she went back in the house," Rodriguez added.

Morris says both victims died of a traumatic head injury.

On Tuesday the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiners Office confirmed that the couple had been beaten to death.

Grief-stricken family members said James worked for four decades at LTV Steel, and he had been battling emphysema. Wava was described as a religious woman who was often seen outside their longtime home.

"She was a good person. She had a good heart," neighbor James Tate said. "I met her from walking down the street and stuff. I always wave at her, and she waved back."

The victims' 2004 gray Buick LeSabre was missing from the driveway. Authorities believe the suspect used it to leave the scene. Morris says that at approximately 8:30 p.m. Monday, Parma Police located the car in the 6000 block of State Road in Parma. The driver, presumably Anthony, was detained.