Father Dies, Mother Hurt After Fight with Son

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio -- A South Euclid man was killed and his wife injured after a domestic dispute at their home turned violent.

Police were called to a home in the 4000 block of Princeton Boulevard on Sunday morning after receiving a 911 call that 61-year-old Oliver Diggs, and his 58-year-old wife Brenda, had been attacked by their 30-year-old son, Quentin.

Family members said Quentin Diggs has a long history of mental illness, but that his parents had always tried to help him.

Son-in-Law George Montanez told Fox 8, "I kept telling (Oliver Diggs) his son was sick, and get him out of there, that he was going to end up killing somebody. That's why I ended up getting my kids out of there because I knew that was going to happen. Nobody wanted to listen to me, and now everything hit the fan."

Friends of the family say the son also had a history of domestic violence against his parents.

"A couple of weeks ago, I came outside; he was chasing his mother around the car, so I had called the police that day," said neighbor David Barkley. “His mother made it to the car. After Quentin saw me, he ran into the house."

Neighbors say the situation exploded on Sunday morning, when Quentin Diggs attacked his mother, and then his father tried to protect her.

"I saw Brenda running away from her house; she wasn't clothed at all, and that concerned me right away, and so I hollered at Quentin," said Barkley.

Family members say when Oliver Diggs came to his wife’s defense, his son allegedly grabbed a brick from a neighbor's yard and beat his father to death. Brenda Diggs was able to escape with relatively minor injuries.

"He was trying to defend his wife, and he lost his life. That's what happened. Hey, may God bless his soul," said Montanez.

Family and friends now lament the terrible price that Oliver and Brenda Diggs have paid, for perhaps loving their son too much. "You have records of police coming over several times because of his actions," said Barkley. “It seems like they should have kept him in the hospital."

Brenda Diggs was taken to Hillcrest Hospital for treatment of her injuries. Quentin Diggs was taken into custody by police, but investigators have not revealed what charges he might face.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.