MetroHealth Medical Center confirmed that a third student victim from the Chardon High School shootings has died.
Demetrius Hewlin passed away Tuesday morning.
Through Metro, his family issued the following statements:
"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community. Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."
Less than two hours earlier, Chardon Police Chief Tim McKenna announced that Russell King Jr., 17, of Chardon, was the second victim to die from injuries sustained in the shootings.
King's family released a statement, saying:
"We would like to thank the public for their continued support. We would also like to extend our sympathy to the families of the victims of this senseless tragedy. We ask that Russell be remembered for who he was, a strong boy with a big heart. He will be missed by many. He was so full of life and we are honoring his wishes to help others by donating his organs. Please respect our privacy during this difficult time."
This double dose of sad news comes one day after fellow victim Daniel Parmertor, 16, of Chardon, was pronounced dead.
- Funeral Information Released for Shooting Victim Daniel Parmertor
- Chardon High School Tragedy: Northeast Ohio Rallies Together
- Report: Gunman Fired at Least 6 Shots From .22-Caliber Pistol
- Gov. Kasich to Attend Prayer Vigil
- Community Wears Red in Support
- Memorial Fund Information
- Post-Shooting Plan for Chardon Schools
- Social Media's Role
- Community Remains in Mourning
- Grieving Experts Discuss Shooting
- LIST: Scheduled Prayer Vigils
- 'Never Forget': Dozens Attend Monday Night Vigils
- Investigation Ongoing
- Expert Says Shooters Often Talk Before Attack
- Hero Teachers Take Action