Authenic Blue Crab Cakes
Authentic Blue Crab Cakes
- 1# lump crab meat, fresh or pasteurized
- ¼ cup or either cracker crumbs or panko
- 2 scallions chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped fine
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 2-4 Tbsp. vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1. Mix together the cracker crumbs, scallions, red pepper, egg, mayonnaise, and old bay in a large bowl until combined.
2. Add the crab to the bowl gently fold into mixture.
3. Now spread the seasoned breadcrumbs on a sheet pan.
4. Shape the crab mixture into three inch patties and place on the sheet pan with the breadcrumbs.
HINT: If time permits refrigerate for ten minutes then turn patties over to bread the other side this firms up the patty.
5. Sauté in vegetable oil for three minutes each side on medium/ high heat.
Keep warm in the oven until all are cooked. Makes 10-12 crab cakes
Serve with tangy horseradish sauce, a crisp dressed salad, or on a toasted bun with lettuce and tomato
This same mixture before step 3 can be used as a stuffing for scam or fresh fish like salmon or flounder.