Recipe by Chef Jonathon Sawyer, owner of The Greenhouse Tavern and Noodlecat
2 c black lentils
2 celery stalk
1 celery root
2 small French breakfast radish
1 c red wine
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 bunch parsley
2 T olive oil
2 T salt
2 T Fine Herbs
1 gal water
Purchasing and Prep:
1. Soak lentils over night in cold water in the refrigerator.
2. Rinse lentils until water becomes clear.
3. Peel all vegetables (excluding radish).
4. Large dice half the parsnip, celery, fennel, celery root, and all of the onion.
5. Take the other half of the vegetables and all the radishes and cut it so it is the same size as the lentils, very small.
6. In a medium sauce pan, put 1 T of olive oil, add large diced mirepoix add 1 T salt and cook until tender without getting any caramelization.
7. Add water & red wine to the sauce pan, simmer for 10 min.
8. Add lentils to the sauce pan and cook until tender, about 30 min.
9. Allow lentils to cool to room temperature in liquid.
10. Strain off remaining liquid and remove large mirepoix.
11. In a mixing bowl, combine lentils, small diced mirepoix, red wine vinegar, parsley and remaining olive oil. Taste for seasoning.
*This recipe is the property of Chef Jonathon Sawyer.