Lesson of a Lifetime: Teacher Saves Student in Class

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A teacher in Sheffield saved the life of a student when he started choking during class.

Students in Donna Rini’s forensic science class at Brookside High School were learning what to do ‘after’ someone dies.

Tuesday, they got a real-life pop quiz about how to prevent a death.

“I could only get like two words out. It was frightening. I was like, ‘help me,’ in a really gaspy sort of voice,” Sophomore Jason Cox said.

Cox was sitting at his desk, eating small pieces of candy, when one became lodged in his throat, he said.

Unable to breath or talk, he stood up and tried to get someone’s attention.

“You’re gasping for air, you can’t breathe, you’re traumatized. I’m like, ‘oh, God,'” Cox said.

His friend, Nate Parsons, jumped into action.

“The first thing I noticed he was choking and I tried to put my arms around him but I was scared I was going to hurt him,” Parsons said.

“Nathan couldn’t get it dislodged, so I went over and Jason came out on the side and we did the Heimlich a couple of times,” Rini said.

Rini made a fist and put it right under Cox’s diaphragm.

Two hard pumps and the candy came flying out, they said.

“Next thing you know I’m on the ground coughing, gasping for air,” Cox said.

Rini also happens to be a biology and anatomy teacher, trained in CPR.

Not all teachers are.

“I think everybody should learn. You don’t realize how quick it happens. So, I think it’s something that everybody should learn if they are in the classroom,” Rini said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.