BEREA, Ohio –There is a new sheriff in town, his name is John Dorsey. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam introduced the team’s new General Manager Friday morning at the team’s facility in Berea.
“Let’s reawake this sleeping giant, the Cleveland Browns,” Dorsey said.
Dorsey comes to Cleveland with plenty of football IQ. He played in the league, was a scout with the Green Bay Packers and served as General Manager in Kansas City. During his tenure with the Chiefs, the team recorded a 43-21 record. He said the reason for the turnaround in Kansas City is that they had a plan, they identified their quarterback and traded for Alex Smith.
Dorsey’s contract was not extended with the Chiefs past 2017 and so the two sides decided to part ways.
Haslam acknowledged that he and Sashi Brown met about 5-6 weeks ago to discuss getting a more experienced individual in the personnel department. It was right around the time the Browns botched a trade for Cincinnati Bengals back-up quarterback A.J. McCarron. Haslam said that mistake had nothing to do with moving on from Sashi Brown.
Dorsey admits that he liked DeShone Kizer entering this year’s draft but went on to say that this is a quarterback driven league, to succeed he said, you need one of those guys.
FOX 8 asked Jimmy Haslam about bringing future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning, who has a Tennessee connection, to Cleveland to help with the turnaround.
Haslam said he and Manning had dinner on Monday night but he doesn’t believe Manning knows what he wants to do yet with his future.
Other news and notes from the press conference:
- -Jimmy Haslam expects Hue Jackson to be the coach of the Browns for a very long time.
- -Haslam said Paul Depodesta will remain with the team and he and John will watch Sunday’s game together, they have not met yet.
- -Haslam is confident that Hue Jackson and John Dorsey will work well together given their style and skillsets.
- -John Dorsey’s recommendations were outstanding according to Jimmy Haslam
- -John Dorsey’s number one priority will be to find a quarterback per Jimmy Haslam
- -Haslam is still confident that they will get this franchise turned around.
For the Cleveland Browns, click here.
For the Browns’ live stream of this event, click here.
For more from the NFL, click here.