President Trump calls Las Vegas mass shooting an ‘act of pure evil’

WASHINGTON, D.C. --   President Donald Trump says he will travel to Las Vegas on Wednesday.

Trump is calling the mass shooting attack in Las Vegas "an act of pure evil."

He spoke Monday morning, hours after the shooting at a country music festival late Sunday killed at least 50 people and wounded more than 400. It is the worst mass shooting in American history.

Trump said the nation must stay unified. He said that although "feel such great anger at the senseless murder of our fellow citizens, it is our love that binds us today and always will."

Earlier in a tweet, Trump offered "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!"

President has ordered that flags be flown at half-staff to honor the victims.

Trump issued a proclamation Monday ordering flags be flown at half-staff until sunset Oct. 6.

The proclamation covers flags at the White House and all public buildings, military posts, naval stations and naval vessels throughout the United States and all territories. It also extends to embassies, military facilities and other sites overseas.

In the proclamation, Trump says the nation "is heartbroken."

The President and First Lady led a moment of silence for the victims Monday afternoon.

**Continuing coverage**