CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Family members have identified a Cleveland woman and her great-grandaughter killed in an early morning house fire.
Cathy Miller and Kihlee Richardson both died during the fire, which happened just before 2:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 3400 block of Granton Avenue.
Chief Angelo Calvillo said Miller, 60, Richardson, 8, were pulled from the fire by firefighters. They were taken to nearby hospitals, but they were pronounced dead.
"The fire was on the first floor," Calvillo said. "It's still under investigation."
"There were smoke detectors in the home," Calvillo said. "But it appears they were not working smoke detectors."
"That's another message we want to get across to everybody. If you have a smoke alarm at home, test and check that smoke alarm monthly. Make sure that battery is in place to save your life," Calvillo said.
Cleveland firefighters responded to another fatal fire over the weekend.
Calvillo said the fire department and Red Cross will be going out in the Cleveland neighborhoods to inform residents of the importance of smoke detectors.
"We can provide that smoke detector for you for free," Calvillo said.
"The outcomes are always different when the smoke detectors are working," the chief said when asked if the woman and her granddaughter might have survived if the house had working smoke detectors.
Stay with Fox 8 News and FOX8.com for updates on this developing story.