Support Salvation Army Wildfire Relief

Nigerian official says more Chibok girls have been released

A Nigerian police officer blocks Esther Ykubu, mother of Grace Yakubu (C), and Rebeca Samuel, mother of Sarah Samuel, as they march to Presidential Villa in Abuja to demand for the rescue of their daughters on April 14, 2017. (Photo credit STRINGER/AFP/Getty Images)

ABUJA, Nigeria — Eighty-two Chibok schoolgirls have been released after successful negotiations between the terrorist group Boko Haram and the Nigerian government, according to a government official close to the negotiations.

The source, who is not authorized to speak on the record about the release, told CNN the freed girls are in military custody in Banki, a town in northeast Nigeria.

Nearly 200 of the schoolgirls had remained captive after the first negotiated release of 21 girls in October. At the time, Nigeria’s government said another group of 83 girls would be released “very soon.”

The 21 Chibok girls who were released by Boko Haram attend a meeting on October 19, 2016 with the Nigerian President at the State House in Abuja, Nigeria. (Photo credit PHILIP OJISUA/AFP/Getty Images)

“Huge numbers,” the personal assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari, Bashir Ahmad, tweeted late Saturday, without giving details.

Many of the girls were forced to marry the Islamic extremists and became pregnant. Human rights advocates believe others could be among the young girls who have been used to carry out suicide bombing attacks.

A Nigerian official said that while some girls had been released by Boko Haram they had not yet reached the Borno state capital of Maiduguri. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.

The group representing the families of the girls said they were awaiting confirmation on how many had been released.

“Our hopes and expectations are high as we look forward to this news being true and confirmed,” said Sesugh Akume with the #BringBackOurGirls campaign.

The Nigerian government has denied that a ransom was paid in the October release and that it freed some detained Boko Haram fighters in exchange for the girls.