Akron man facing terrorism charges takes trial over plea deal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Terrence J. McNeil in federal court on 11/12/15 (Sketch by Joe Wood)

CLEVELAND  — An Akron man who the FBI says threatened U.S. military members online on behalf of the Islamic State has rejected a plea deal and is headed to trial.

A court filing says Terrence McNeil rejected pleas offered by government prosecutors Friday.

FBI officials say McNeil posted a file on his Tumblr page in September 2015 that contained the names and addresses of military personnel. He then allegedly urged supporters of the Islamic State to behead the people mentioned in the file.

Federal Judge Dan Polster last month denied a request to dismiss 15 terrorism-related charges against McNeil.

McNeil has pleaded not guilty. Messages were left for McNeil’s attorney and for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Cleveland.