CLEVELAND, Ohio -- She's been called the 'Generation Y Betty Crocker' because of her innovative recipes.
Sarah Jones, founder and CEO of the Miss Jones Baking Co. stopped at Fox 8 News in the Morning Friday to show us some of her super-easy and delicious holiday treats.
Miss Jones Baking Co. is the first to create organic, ready-to-use frosting and bake mixes. It's sold locally including at Heinen's and Target.
For more on Miss Jones Baking Co., click here.
For the Miss Jones Facebook page, click here.
For today's recipes, see below:
Brownie Batter Crinkles
Makes 40 cookies (20 Brownie Cookie Sandwiches)
¼ cup oil
¼ cup water
1 box Miss Jones Organic Brownie Mix
1 cup powdered sugar
Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting
– Want another frosting flavor? Pick up some chocolate and salted caramel to make one batch of cookies even more versatile.
– Vegan bakers can use flax egg as a substitution in this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets and line both with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, and water. Add in the Miss Jones Organic Chocolate Cake Mix and mix to combine with a spatula (dough will be thick).
2. Use a mini spring-loaded ice cream scoop or a spoon to portion out tablespoon-size cookies on prepared baking sheet. Place in refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from freezer and roll brownie cookie dough into a ball with your hands and then roll in powdered sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Bake for 16 – 18 minutes, or until cookies are soft in the middle and crispy on around the edges. Cool completely.
5. Spread vanilla frosting on one side of a brownie crinkle cookie and sandwich another one on top. Repeat with remaining cookies and frosting.
Wild Whiskey Tartlets
Makes 24 mini tartlets
For the caramel (or just buy some pre-made from the store!)
– 1½ cup brown sugar
– ½ cup butter
– ½ cup heavy whipping cream
– 1 Tbsp vanilla
– 1 Tbsp Wild Turkey bourbon
– 1 tsp sea salt
For the crust
– ½ cup softened butter
– 1 egg
– 1 box Miss Jones Organic Chocolate Cake Mix
For the topping
– 12 oz dark chocolate
– 1 tsp butter or oil
Sprinkle of sea salt (to taste)
– Worried about making caramel from scratch or only have 30 minutes to make this dessert? No sweat. Just buy pre-made caramel from the store and throw a little whiskey in it.
– We have a totally killer vegan coconut caramel recipe that works well if you’re looking for something dairy-free. Vegan bakers can use 1/2 cup softened coconut oil in place of butter/egg for crust.
– Make sure caramel is completely cooled before adding chocolate coating… and be careful! Hot caramel looks and smells tasty, but is TOTALLY lethal. Let it cool before tasting.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using a stand mixer or large bowl and hand mixer, combine egg, butter and cake mix on low speed until mixture is thick and crumbly. Press about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough into each mini tart mold (we used this one from Wilton), covering the bottom and sides in a thick, even layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are crispy and middle is slightly firm to the touch. Press bottom of tart shells down if puffy (we used the back of a shot glass) and set aside to cool completely. Once cool, turn tart pan over onto a baking sheet, cutting board, or parchment paper. Use a spatula or spoon to tap firmly on the back of each mold to release tart.
3. Heat brown sugar and ½ cup butter over medium heat in a large skillet, stirring gently for 8 minutes. Stir in bourbon, vanilla and cream, and then increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 60 seconds, stirring continuously. Remove finished caramel from heat and stir in sea salt.
4. Fill cooled tartlet shells just below the edge with caramel, and allow to caramel to fully cool.
5. Melt dark chocolate and butter or oil together in a double boiler (or in the microwave). Coat tartlet tops with melted chocolate, allow to harden in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, then sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
Copycat Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
Makes 8-16 bars
– 1 egg
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
– 1-2 tablespoons water
– 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
– 1 cup white chocolate chips, divided
– 1 cup chopped dried cranberries, divided
– 1 jar Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting
– Grease your baking pan and line with parchment paper before baking to make pulling the bars of the pan a breeze.
– A large offset spatula makes frosting everything from cakes to cookies to bars easier
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8×8-inch pan with butter, line with parchment paper, and grease again (this will make the bars super easy to remove from the pan after baking).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, butter, and water. Add in Organic Vanilla Cake Mix and mix with a spatula (batter will be thick like cookie dough).
3. Stir in 1/2 cup white chocolate chips and 1/2 cup dried cranberries. Transfer dough to prepared pan and pat down into an even layer (using a spatula or your hands). Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bars are golden brown and slightly firm to the touch.
4. Let bars cool completely before frosting with Organic Vanilla Frosting. Top with remaining 1/2 cup dried cranberries. Melt the remaining 1/2 cup white chocolate in a small bowl and transfer to a sandwich or quart-size plastic bag. Cut off the very end of one corner of the bag to create a small hole and drizzle white chocolate over bars. Let white chocolate firm up and cut into triangles before serving.
Peppermint Bark Brownies
Makes 9 Brownies
2 tablespoons water
½ cup oil
1 box Miss Jones Organic Fudgey Brownie Mix
1 jar Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting
¼ to ½ teaspoon peppermint extract or oil
Optional: crushed peppermints or candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8 x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Mix and bake brownies according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, water, and oil together until combined. Add brownie mix until fully incorporated. Batter will be slightly thick. Bake in the oven for 33-37 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Mix together vanilla frosting and mint extract. Once cooled, top the brownies with the peppermint frosting.
Top brownies with crushed peppermints or candy canes, if desired, and cut into squares before serving.