High carbon monoxide levels send 7 from Elyria business to hospital
ELYRIA, Ohio– Several people were taken to area hospitals and dozens more became ill from high levels of carbon monoxide at a business in Elyria.
The Elyria Fire Department said it was first called to Lorain County Automotive Systems on Liberty Court at about 7 p.m. Wednesday for a man with chest pains. About an hour later, they were called back for another medical emergency.
This time, 30 employees came out of the building, complaining about headaches and nausea, the fire department said. They checked and found high carbon monoxide levels.
A total of seven people were taken to the hospital. One worker went home sick and called 911 from his house.
Columbia Gas also responded to the scene. Lorain County Automotive Systems will have to be inspected before it can reopen.
The Elyria Fire Department said now is the time to get a carbon monoxide detector or make sure your existing one works. They also recommend getting your furnace inspected each year.
For more on symptoms of CO poisoning and how to prevent it, visit the CDC’s website.