Here we go again. The snow and bitter cold temperatures are returning to Northeast Ohio.
To help you get through the next several months, we have put together a Winter Survival Guide.
We will break down the difference between those weather alerts, give you tips to keep you safe behind the wheel and help you sign up to get alerts when your school closes for the day.
KNOW YOUR WEATHER ALERTS: Ever wonder the difference between a winter watch and a winter warning? We’re breaking it down:
- WINTER STORM WATCH: 7 inches or more of snow in 24 hours or less (issued at least 12-24 hours out)
- WINTER STORM WARNING: The only difference between this and a watch: The storm is closer and imminent
- WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY: The only difference with an advisory: Snow occurs over more than 24 hours
Our FOX 8 weather team will always bring you the latest weather updates all winter long RIGHT HERE on our FOX 8 weather page and when the winter weather turns wicked, get a complete list of weather alerts RIGHT HERE.
SNOW EMERGENCY: Every winter when the roads get really bad, you probably see these numbers getting thrown around- Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3- but what do they mean?
- LEVEL 1: Roads are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. You’re urged to drive very cautiously.
- LEVEL 2: Roads are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work. Drivers should use extreme caution.
- LEVEL 3: All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be driving during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.
SNOW DAYS: FOX 8 is your official school closing station. You hear us say that every winter, but what does it mean?
It means you can count on us to bring you closings and delays first in several different ways:
- Right here on FOX8.com
- On our FOX 8 App
You can also be the first to know when your child’s school closes for the day by having a text alert sent right to your phone.
(FOX 8 Official Closings and text alerts are powered by Ohio Savings Bank.)
GETTING YOU ROAD-READY: Are you and your car ready for the snowy, icy roads? Here are tips to keep you safe:
- Check your battery, tire tread and pressure, windshield wipers and antifreeze
- Carry emergency supplies like flashlights, a shovel, jumper cables, blankets and an ice scraper
- Keep your gas tank full
- Don’t drive using cruise control
- Slow down and allow plenty of distance in front of you
- Don’t rush. Check weather and traffic conditions ahead of time and leave early if necessary
(Courtesy: Ohio State Highway Patrol)