Residents displaced, 2 pets die in Cleveland apartment fire

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Authorities say at least eight apartment unit occupants have been displaced after a Saturday afternoon fire, where two pets died.

The Chelsea Manor Apartments on Lake Avenue caught fire in a third floor, rear unit according to Cleveland Fire Chief, Angelo Calvillo.

The complex, which is pet friendly, lost a dog and cat to the fire because some of the occupants were not home at the time it started.

Other tenants were lucky, like Abby Bucciarelli. She was able to reunite with her dog, Chico.

"Oh, I was terrified because I didn't know if he'd be ok, and, you know, he was in the apartment, and I wasn't even sure that I could go up and check on him, so luckily one of the firemen took me up to see if he was alright, and here he is," Bucciarelli said.

Fire Chief Calvillo told Fox 8 at least 15 to 20 residents were inside of the apartments when the fire broke out.

The Red Cross is reaching out to residents after the tragedy. It is unclear when people will be allowed to return to their homes.

The fire is still under investigation.