Ohio Governor John Kasich has ordered flags be flown at half-staff in Lorain County today and across the state tomorrow in honor of the Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper who was killed in the line of duty.
Calling hours for Trooper Kenneth Velez will be held today from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the field house at Lorain County Community College in Elyria.
Trooper Velez will be laid to rest tomorrow. The funeral will be held at the field house at 10 a.m. It is open to the public. It's not known exactly how many officers will be there, but 19 states will be represented, as well as Canada.
- Exit Lorain Community College onto Abbe Road north (right)(SR-301)
- Abbe Road north to North Ridge Road west (left)(SR-254)
- North Ridge Road west to Broadway Avenue (right)
- Broadway Avenue north to North Ridge Road west (left)
- North Ridge Road west to Calvary Cemetery (left into south side)
As the procession passes Durling Middle School, students will be outside to honor the trooper, funeral home officials said.