MUNICH, GERMANY – The latest updates from the Munich shooting:
- The Munich attacker appears to have illegally purchased the pistol used in his deadly rampage through the “dark web,” Robert Heimberger, president of the Bavarian state criminal police office, said Sunday.
- Investigators analyzing the computer of the Munich gunman have discovered he was an avid player of first-person shooter video games, including “Counter-Strike,” officials told reporters at a press conference Sunday.
- Investigators have found documents in the Munich attacker’s home that confirm that he suffered from mental illness, including depression and anxiety, Munich prosecutor Thomas Steinkraus-Koch said Sunday.
- The gunman was under psychiatric care in a hospital for two months in 2015, officials said. Police found medication in his home and are trying to determine whether he had been taking it.
The man who gunned down nine people in Munich on Friday left behind a long written statement on his computer, police said Sunday.
Investigators are still analyzing the 18-year-old’s computer, said Robert Heimberger, president of the Bavarian state criminal police office.
Officials said photographs found on the gunman’s camera showed he had also visited the German town of Winnenden, the site of a deadly 2009 school shooting.
Heimberger also said the gunman apparently planned the attack for a year.
“He completely occupied himself with this act of rampage,” Heimberger said.
Police have not named the attacker, but said he had dual German and Iranian nationalities and was born and raised in Munich.
Neighbors told CNN the teen who lived in the apartment searched by police was Ali Sonboly. German police said the gunman’s parents had been taken in for questioning.
Most of the nine killed were teenagers. Three victims were 14 years old, two were 15, one was 17 and one was 19. A 20-year-old and a 45-year-old were also killed.
The victims were all German nationals from the Munich area, officials said. Turkey’s Foreign Ministry said three of the victims were also Turkish nationals.
Another of the victims was also a Greek citizen, Greece’s Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
Officials said the attack left another 27 people wounded — 10 of them with serious injuries.